The mission of the ATA Veteran Program is to connect, restore and engage those who have served our country with fellow veterans to educate, protect, and preserve the Arizona National Scenic Trail. The Veteran Program is designed to create opportunities on and off the trail, where vets can feel a sense of accomplishment that is found in military service, as well as in the strength and power of community by participating in meaningful experiences along the AZT.
The ATA is proud and honored to offer multiple ways for veterans to get involved through:
- Volunteer events specifically for the veteran community
- Veteran member meet-ups at trailheads along the AZT (Southern AZ only)
- Team sponsored events (races, corporate collaboration, etc)
- Social engagement through Facebook Groups (Southern AZ only)
- 5+ day immersive experiences within AZT Passages (Seasonal/TBD)
Contact Michael “Chappy” Chappell for more info: call/text (970) 779-5740 or click to email
The ATA is also a proud sponsor of The Warrior Hike Program with Warrior Expeditions, which includes 8 long-distance hiking expeditions, where veterans are provided with everything required to complete an expedition at no cost.
- Equipment, Clothing and Supplies: Warrior Expeditions outfits veterans with some of the most highly rated equipment, clothing and supplies available from the outdoor retail industry.
- Training and Orientation: Warrior Expeditions provides gear and skills training needed to successfully complete the expedition and shadows veterans during the first leg of their journey to answer questions and troubleshoot issues.
- Community Support: Warrior Expeditions coordinates support in the forms of transportation, lodging and food from community supporters located along the trail.
For more information about this incredible program, please visit their website, and take a moment to watch the 2019 ATA Annual Meeting video of Mike “Bloody Feet” Buckley’s presentation and his experience hiking the AZT sponsored by Warrior Expeditions.
Michael “Chappy” Chappell – Veteran Outreach Coordinator
Call/text (970) 779-5740 or click to email