Field Coordinator – Northern Arizona
Accepting applications until filled
The Arizona Trail Association (ATA) is the nonprofit organization whose mission is to protect, maintain, enhance, promote and sustain the Arizona Trail as a unique encounter with the land. We are looking for an exceptional individual to coordinate and lead volunteer activities on the Arizona National Scenic Trail (AZT) as a Field Coordinator in northern Arizona. Ideal candidates will be capable of creating a safe and welcoming environment for volunteers while providing the leadership necessary to achieve the project goals to maintain and improve the AZT and engage more individuals in the AZT experience.
The Field Coordinator will work with the Volunteer Program Manager (VPM) to plan, coordinate and implement volunteer activities on the trail. This will include travel to various locations along the 800-mile trail to lead volunteer crews for trail construction and maintenance projects of varying degrees of technical complexity and size. Most projects will be scheduled for weekends with some overnight or multi-day events possible. Intermittent weekday scheduling may also be a possibility.
This position will concentrate on projects in Northern Arizona (north of Phoenix) with some potential for projects in Southern Arizona as well.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. You must really LOVE working with people!
- A love of trails and hiking/running/bicycling/equestrian activities
- Competence with digital communications including social media, email, and interfaces with online data tracking
- Experience using GPS technology
- At least one year experience leading trail construction and maintenance crews
- Knowledge of methods, materials, tools and techniques used in trail construction and maintenance, especially:
- Forest and desert brushing techniques
- Basic drainage and tread repair
- Stone retaining structure construction
- Full bench tread construction
- Familiarity with Leave No Trace principles and commitment to implementing them
- Comfort working with individuals of diverse races, cultures, religions, ages, genders, sexual orientations and abilities
- Currently certified as a Wilderness First Responder or Wilderness Advanced First Aid
- Preference will be given to candidates residing in or near Flagstaff and with existing connections to the trail community
- Lead volunteer trail building and maintenance events on the trail including:
- Communicate via email and telephone with VPM, volunteers and ATA Trail Operations Team
- Provide instruction to volunteers on the basics of trail maintenance and construction
- Educate volunteers on land management boundaries and ancestral lands, and their significance
- Conduct safety briefings and ensure that sign-in and liability releases are signed
- Reward volunteers with Arizona Trail swag (maps, stickers, bandanas, etc.)
- Evaluate and communicate project results with VPM
- Provide photo documentation of project and volunteer engagement
- Plan, shop and coordinate preparation of menus for overnight and multi-day projects
- Ensure that volunteer hours are tracked in the online volunteer management system
- Understand and implement safety protocols including COVID protections
Other Duties as Assigned May Include:
- Support instructors of the ATA’s Trail Skills Institute in providing on-trail training on basic and advanced trail design/construction/maintenance techniques
- Assist in recruiting volunteers and engaging community organizations within gateway communities
- Maintain and repair hand tools and PPE as needed
- Assemble, organize and maintain camp equipment
- $0.54/mile for driving personally owned vehicle
- Two full days of work are anticipated for each one-day event, including travel to and from event site, pre-event coordination with VPM, and clean-up and reporting after each event. $200/day x 2 days x 12 events = $4,800 annually.
- Field Coordinator will be compensated as an Independent Contractor, with no taxes withheld and no employee benefits offered.
- Twelve (12) events annually (one to two days)
- Exact dates will be determined by Field Coordinator, VPM and Trail Operations Team
- Working with a progressive nonprofit organization committed to stewardship of public lands and engaging with volunteers who believe in the ATA’s mission and vision
- Flexible schedule, working primarily outdoors
- Arizona Trail embroidered shirt, hat, nametag, and business cards
- 50% discount on Arizona Trail merchandise
Email resume and letter of interest to Wendy Lotze, Volunteer Program Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.