North Rim to Jacob Lake
Many of the services in this area are seasonal from May until October, and are entirely dependent upon winter road closures. Call for details before your visit.
The “Jacob” of Jacob Lake refers to Jacob Hamblin, Mormon pioneer and explorer. The Piute named the lake in his honor. This small lake sustained Mormon settlers as they traveled along the “Honeymoon Trail” on the way to get married at the temple in St. George, UT. This part of Arizona is known as the “Arizona Strip” and is geographically separated from the rest of the state by the Grand Canyon.
- Mile 772.8 – Jacob Lake is 2.4 miles SW on Hwy 89a.
- Jacob Lake Map below.
- Mile 728.0 – The North Rim village is ~2 miles SW on Hwy 67.
- North Rim Map below.
- 85 N. Main Street, North Rim, 86052
- Wi-Fi at the camper store by the campground.
- Grand Canyon Lodge North (May 15 – October 15), (877) 386-4383. This is the only lodging inside the National Park on the North Rim. Cabins and hotel rooms available.
- Jacob Lake Inn (Hwy. 89A & AZ 67), (928) 643-7232. Built in 1929, Jacob Lake Inn has cabins, rooms, a restaurant, small store with resupply items, and a bakery that shouldn’t be missed! Open year round.
- Kaibab Lodge (AZ 67, HC 64, Box 30, 86022), (928) 638-2389. Located 18 miles from the North Rim on Highway 67, the Kaibab Lodge has cabins, a full restaurant, and a cozy fireplace to rest after your day on the trail. Open May 15 through November 2.
- North Rim Campground requires a reservation. The campground is open from May 15 to October 15, with walk-in sites available until November 30 (facilities close on the North Rim October 15).
- De Motte Park. National Forest Campground 18 miles north of the rim on Highway 67. Open (May 15 through November 1).
- Kaibab Camper Village (928) 643-7804. One mile southwest of Jacob Lake on Highway 67. Tent and RV sites, laundry, and hot showers available. Open May 12 through October 15.
- North Rim Country Store (Milepost 605, Hwy. 67), (928) 638-2383, email@example.com. Groceries, camping and souvenir items. Betsy, the owner, is an Arizona Trail Segment Steward for Passage 39. Will accept packages. Open May through November. Located six miles north of the park entrance.
- The North Rim Lodge also has a small general store with limited resupply items.
- The North Rim Lodge has a dining room, deli, a coffee shop, and a saloon.
- Kaibab Lodge and Jacob Lake Inn both have full restaurants.
- Canyonlands Urgent Care (), Mon-Sun, 7am-7pm, (
- Canyonlands Healthcare Walk in Clinic (
- Kane County Hospital (), 24 hrs,
- Allen’s Trail Rides (435) 644-8150, firstname.lastname@example.org. 1 hour, 2 hour, 1/2 day, full day, and longer trips. Call to make reservations.
- Kaibab Plateau – miles of scenic trails and dirt roads crisscross the Kaibab Plateau allowing for hiking, biking, horseback riding, and camping. Contact the Kaibab Plateau Visitor’s Center at (928) 643-7298.