This Seeds of Stewardship extracurricular program is designed to help youth experience, connect with, and learn about Flagstaff’s incredible wild places. Participants will visit local trails once a week through a given season to explore and learn in a natural, safe, fun, and relaxing setting. Flagstaff youth in grades 5-8, of any level of outdoor experience, are encouraged to sign up! Join us along the Arizona Trail for some fresh air, movement, hands-on learning, new friendships, and memorable experiences.
- Hike (+snowshoe and cross country ski in winter!) beautiful segments of the Arizona Trail around Flagstaff.
- Have fun, unwind from technology, and connect with peers.
- Learn how to recreate safely and responsibly in the outdoors, gaining lasting skills & knowledge for future adventures, including mindful outdoor ethics, logistical trip planning, survival skills, and wilderness navigation.
- Dive into our fascinating local natural history through activities and trail interpretation themed around plant & animal adaptations, wildcrafting, geology, snow science, and conservation.
- Enliven a spirit of stewardship & volunteerism, working together to improve the AZT during a trail maintenance day.
8 Weekly Sessions • April – May • Please check back in February 2022 for details
None! Seeds of Stewardship is totally free-of-charge.
Snacks and specialized equipment, like cross country skis or mountain bikes are provided. We are happy to lend out any gear you need, such as backpacks and rain jackets.
The group will be capped at 13 participants per session. When the roster is filled, you will be placed on a waitlist.
Seeds of Stewardship through the coronavirus outbreak
The Arizona Trail Association is committed to reducing the risk of coronavirus transmission. Information about our safety strategies can be found in our Revised COVID Epidemic Protocols.
SoS participants will be required to:
- Follow any federal, state, and local mask ordinances.
- Wear a mask at all times unless they are physically distancing, eating, or drinking. We will not check participants’ vaccination status.
- Carry and use disinfectants (provided by SoS).
We ask that youth kindly refrain from participation if they have COVID-19 symptoms, believe they may have COVID-19, or have had any exposure to someone with a confirmed case of COVID-19 in the past 14 days.
Click here for more information on how to prepare, what we’ll be doing, and more.
Miguel Sotelo, Youth Outreach & Education Associate, firstname.lastname@example.org.