This Seeds of Stewardship extracurricular program is designed to help youth in Flagstaff unplug from their screens and plug into the great outdoors. Participants will meet at various local trailheads once a week through a given season to explore and learn in a natural, safe, fun, and relaxing setting. Flagstaff youth in grades 5-7, of any level of outdoor experience, are encouraged to sign up! Join us along the Arizona Trail for some fresh air, movement, hands-on learning, new friendships, and memorable experiences.
- Hike (+snowshoe and cross country ski in winter!) beautiful segments of the Arizona Trail around Flagstaff.
- Have fun, unwind from technology, and connect with peers.
- Learn how to recreate safely and responsibly in the outdoors, gaining lasting skills & knowledge for future adventures, including Leave No Trace ethics, logistical trip planning, leadership, and wilderness navigation.
- Dive into our fascinating local natural history through activities and trail interpretation themed around plant & animal adaptations, wildcrafting, geology, snow science, and conservation.
- Enliven a spirit of stewardship & volunteerism, working together to improve the AZT during a trail maintenance day.
8 Weekly Sessions • Check back in July for details!
None! Seeds of Stewardship is totally free-of-charge.
Besides snacks, there is no need to purchase any special materials for our program. We are happy to lend out any gear, such as backpacks and rain jackets, for the season.
Sign up for After School on the AZT’s spring season!
Groups will be limited to only 8 youth per group. When groups are filled, you will be placed on a waitlist.
Seeds of Stewardship through the coronavirus outbreak
The Arizona Trail Association is committed to reducing the risk of coronavirus transmission. Families, participants, and instructors will be required to follow the measures outlined in our COVID-19 Epidemic Protocol.
In addition to the requirements stated in the ATA Epidemic Protocol, SoS participants will be required to:
- Wear a mask at all times unless they are eating, drinking, or are directed that it’s safe to remove it.
- Carry and use disinfectants (provided by SoS).
- Refrain from sharing any gear, supplies, and food.
We ask that youth kindly refrain from participation if they have COVID-19 symptoms, believe they may have COVID-19, or have had any exposure to someone with a confirmed case of COVID-19 in the past 14 days.
Click here for more information on how to prepare, what we’ll be doing, and more.
Julie Polovitch, Youth Outreach & Education Coordinator, email@example.com.