- Highway 87 to Gooseberry Springs Trailhead
- 29.4 miles
Southern Access Point: Highway 87
- GPS Coordinates: 34.60751° N, 111.20061° W
From the intersection of AZ 87 and AZ 260 north of Pine, drive northeast 19.5 miles on AZ 87 then turn right (south) on FR 138. (This is about 0.8 miles west of the Blue Ridge Ranger Station on AZ 87.) Signs on the highway point to Moqui Campground. The trailhead is about 100 yards south on FR 138, on the left (east) side of the road.
Northern Trailhead: Gooseberry Springs Trailhead
- GPS Coordinates: 34.82130° N, 111.43177° W
From the turnoff leading from Forest Highway 3 to Mormon Lake Village, continue south on Forest Highway 3 for approximately 5 miles and then turn left onto a prominent road (FR 92) on the south side of an open meadow, and drive 0.25 miles to a sharp left turn in the road; the trailhead and a steel AZT sign are on your right. You can also reach this point from AZ 87 by driving north on Forest Highway 3.
Trail Route Description
Passage 28 continues through Coconino National Forest and traverses the Mogollon Plateau. This section begins at the Hay Meadow Trailhead and heads north, stretching across forests of ponderosa pine, piñon and juniper trees. The trail is smooth and soft and the miles are fairly flat and easy. The trail drops into Jack’s Canyon, passes by stock ponds and springs, and crosses rocky flats where you might catch a glimpse of wildlife such as pronghorn and elk.
Numerous tanks exist throughout this passage as well as the cattle that drink from them.
- Spring, Summer and Fall
- Current weather forecast
Water may be found at some of the stock tanks along this route. There is also seasonal water in some of the drainages the trail crosses. Check the online Arizona Trail Water Report for current information at https://aztrail.org/explore/water-sources/.
- All water along this passage should be purified prior to use.
- The USFS Mogollon Rim Ranger District, Arizona Trail Association and Arizona State Parks are improving 18 miles of the Happy Jack Passage through 2018 and 2019. Watch for new gates, new signs and kiosks, and NEW SINGLETRACK. Volunteer work events, youth crew work, Trail Skills education events and other activity will continue throughout the project.
- Map of Passage 28
- USGS Topographic Maps: Blue Ridge Reservoir, Hay Lake, Turkey Mountain, Jaycox Mountain and Hutch Mountain.
- Coconino National Forest – Visitors Guide.
- Coconino National Forest – Recreational Opportunity Guide.
- Coconino National Forest map.
- BLM Information Center maps.
For more information
- The Passage Steward
- Coconino National Forest, Mogollon Rim Ranger District, 8738 Ranger Road, Happy Jack, AZ 86024 (928) 477-2255.
- BLM Information Center (602) 417-9300.