- Telephone Hill Trailhead to Orderville Trailhead
- 16.6 miles
Southern Access Point: Telephone Hill Trailhead
- GPS Coordinates: 36.55147° N, 112.17560° W
About 13.5 miles south of Jacob Lake on AZ 67, look for a sign pointing to FR 429 on the west side. Do not turn right onto FR 429, but instead turn left (east) onto FR 241. In 0.1 miles, the AZT crosses the road, but there is no parking here. Continue another 0.1 miles to a little campsite on the left, where you may be able to park.
Northern Trailhead: Orderville Trailhead
- GPS Coordinates: 36.73646° N, 112.18889° W
From Jacob Lake, head east on US 89A for 2.2 miles, then turn right (south) on FR 205. The trailhead is on the left.
Trail Route Description
Throughout this passage the route follows Trail #101 and it begins at the Telephone Hill Trailhead on FR 241. From here it heads generally north and parallels Highway 67. The trail reaches a drainage and crosses it, and at the top of the drainage a road is crossed and then the trail continues in a north/northeast direction. The trail crosses FR 205 twice and then crosses FR 205B. It runs next to FR 225 for a while and then begins a long gradual descent. It follows a drainage all the way down to Big Ridge Tank, and after a short climb the trail continues descending until it reaches the Orderville Canyon Trailhead and Highway 89A.
- Easy to Moderate
- Spring, Summer and Fall
- Current weather forecast
There is a good water source about six miles into the passage otherwise water sources are scarce and unreliable. Check the online Arizona Trail Water Report for current information at https://aztrail.org/explore/water-sources/.
- All water along this passage should be purified prior to use.
- The Arizona Trail is marked with brown fiberglass posts with a Kaibab Plateau Trail decal near the top.
- Map of Passage 41
- USGS Topographic Maps: Telephone Hill and Jacob Lake.
- Kaibab National Forest map.
- BLM Information Center maps.
For more information
- The Passage Steward
- Kaibab National Forest, North Kaibab Ranger District, P.O. Box 248, Fredonia, AZ 86022 (928) 643-7298.
- Kaibab Plateau Visitor Center, Jacob Lake, AZ (928) 643-7298.
- BLM Information Center (602) 417-9300.