- Kaibab National Forest boundary to Telephone Hill Trailhead
- 20.7 miles
Southern Access Point: Kaibab National Forest boundary
- GPS Coordinates: 36.33775° N, 112.10248° W
From Jacob Lake, drive south on AZ 67 for 26 miles and turn left (east) onto FR 611 (4.5 miles north of the Grand Canyon National Park entrance station and 1 mile south of Kaibab Lodge). Drive 1.1 miles and turn right (east) onto FR 610. Wind south and then east 5.1 miles to a pullout on the north side of the road, near a brown AZT post.
Northern Access Point: Telephone Hill Trailhead
- GPS Coordinates: 36.55147° N, 112.17560° W
About 13.5 miles south of Jacob Lake on AZ 67, look for a sign pointing to FR 429 on the west side. Do not turn right onto FR 429, but instead turn left (east) onto FR 241. In 0.1 miles, the AZT crosses the road, but there is no parking here. Continue another 0.1 miles to a little campsite on the left, where you may be able to park.
Trail Route Description
Passage 40 begins at the Kaibab National Forest boundary and traverses through an idyllic forest of spruce, pine and aspen. Located in a much-overlooked area of northern Arizona, this section offers easy and pleasant travel along singletrack through gently rolling terrain.
As the trail winds along the East Rim of the Grand Canyon, it dips into tranquil meadows and passes by the East Rim Viewpoint. It features scenic views and the peaceful valley of Tater Canyon.
The East Rim Viewpoint is a highlight of this section with breathtaking views of Saddle Mountain Wilderness, Marble Canyon, Vermillion Cliffs, and Navajo Mountain in the distance.
- Easy to Moderate
- Spring, Summer and Fall
- Current weather forecast
There are seasonal an probable water sources on this part of the Kaibab Plateau. Check the online Arizona Trail Water Report for current information at https://aztrail.org/explore/water-sources/.
- All water along this passage should be purified prior to use.
- The Arizona Trail is marked with brown fiberglass posts with a Kaibab Plateau Trail decal near the top.
- Map of Passage 40
- USGS Topographic Maps: Little Park Lake, Dog Point and Telephone Hill.
- Kaibab National Forest map.
- BLM Information Center maps.
For more information
- The Passage Steward
- Kaibab National Forest, North Kaibab Ranger District, P.O. Box 248, Fredonia, AZ 86022 (928) 643-7298.
- Kaibab Plateau Visitor Center, Jacob Lake, AZ (928) 643-7298.
- BLM Information Center (602) 417-9300.