- Redington Road to Gordon Hirabayashi Campground
- 13.2 miles
Southern Access Point: Redington Road
- GPS Coordinates: 32.30630° N, 110.57428° W
From Tucson, head east on Tanque Verde Road, which becomes Redington Pass Road after you leave the city. The road turns to dirt near mile marker 3. From that point, continue to just past mile marker 12 on Redington Pass Road. At the top of a small ridge the AZT crosses Redington Road. There are AZT signs on both sides of the road.
Northern Access Point: Gordon Hirabayashi Campground
- GPS Coordinates: 32.33581° N, 110.71972° W
Follow Tanque Verde Road east from Tucson and turn left (north) on the Catalina Highway. Drive about 9 miles and pass Molino Basin Campground. Continue 1.7 miles beyond the campground and take the left (west) turn to Gordon Hirabayashi Campground. Drive 0.3 miles to a parking area. Follow a trail out of the south end of the parking lot for 40 yards to reach a “T” intersection with the AZT.
Trail Route Description
From Redington Road the trail heads northeast, then turns west and then reaches the Bellota Ranch Road. Just beyond the road crossing is The Lake Trailhead. From here the route follows the Bellota Trail (#15). It crosses Caliente Creek, goes through several gates and then climbs up to the pass above Molino Basin. From an elevation of 4,860 feet the trail descends rapidly down to the Catalina Highway. After passing around the Molino Basin Campground the trail climbs steadily westward until it reaches the Gordon Hirabayashi Trailhead.
- Fall, Winter and Spring
- Current weather forecast
Water can be found seasonally at The Lake, West Spring Tank and some of the drainages the trail crosses. In wet seasons, water may be found in the creek in the Molino Basin Campground, but no water is available for campers or hikers.
- All water along this passage should be purified prior to use.
- This passage of the trail is very popular with mountain bike riders.
- USGS Topographic Maps: Piety Hill and Agua Caliente Hill.
- Saguaro National Park map.
- Coronado National Forest map.
- BLM Information Center maps.
For more information
- The Passage Steward
- Saguaro National Park, 3693 S. Old Spanish Trail, Tucson, AZ 85730 (520) 733-5142.
- Coronado National Forest, Santa Catalina Ranger District, 5700 N. Sabino Canyon Rd., Tucson, AZ 85715 (520) 749-8700.
- BLM Information Center (602) 417-9300.
Current Passage Info
Photos from the Arizona Trail Association’s Flickr galleries, for this specific passage. View the entire Flickr account.