- Rogers Trough Trailhead to Vineyard Trailhead
- 29.4 miles
Southern Trailhead: Rogers Trough Trailhead
- GPS Coordinates: 33.42223° N, 111.17325° W
From Florence Junction, travel east on US 60 for 1.8 miles, turn left (north) onto Queen Valley Road, continue 1.8 miles, and turn right (east) on FR 357. Drive 3 miles and turn left (north) onto FR 172 at a sign for Roger’s Trough Trailhead (there is a sign for FR 172 about 20 yards after the turn). Continue 9.2 miles to a fork and bear right onto FR 172A. Follow this road 3.7 miles, bear left at an intersection with FR 650 (which is also the route of the AZT arriving from Passage 18), and continue 0.4 miles to a very large parking area. The trail departs from the north end of the parking lot.
From the rest stop in Superior, travel west about 12 miles on US 60 to Queen Valley Road and follow the directions above. Previous directions from Superior are no longer applicable since FR 357 has been closed to through traffic.
Northern Trailhead: Vineyard Trailhead
- GPS Coordinates: 33.67650° N, 111.16104° W
This is near Theodore Roosevelt Dam, where AZ 88 and AZ 188 meet. The parking area is at the north end of the suspension bridge, on the east side of the highway.
Trail Route Description
The trail enters the Superstition Wilderness and descends into Rogers Canyon on trail #109. It reaches an intersection with trail #110 and then turns northeast and travels up on to Reavis Saddle and on to the ruins of Reavis Ranch. From the ranch area trail #109 heads north to a junction with trail #117 (the Reavis Gap Trail). The route follows this trail across Pine Creek towards Reavis Gap. At a trail junction with trail #119 (the Two Bar Ridge Trail), the route turns northerly and passes Walnut Spring, Two Bar Mountain and along the high Two Bar Ridge. Just beyond Pinyon Mountain trail #119 ends at the Black Bush ranch road (FR 83). The route follows this road to the bottom of a very steep incline where it veers off the road to the left onto single-track trail #120 (the Cottonwood Trail) that wraps around to the left. It then follows the wash in the bottom of Cottonwood Canyon into Cottonwood Canyon, past Cottonwood Spring and then onto FR 341 near a large and usually full water tank. This road climbs out of Cottonwood Canyon and then descends to trail #121 (the Thompson Trail). Trail #121 parallels Roosevelt Lake, passes the Roosevelt Cemetary, and works its way down to the Thompson Trailhead. From here the route follows Highway 188 over the Roosevelt Lake Bridge to the Vineyard Trailhead.
- Fall, Winter and Spring
- Current weather forecast
Water can usually be found at Reavis Creek, Walnut Spring, Cottonwood Spring and Roosevelt Lake. Check the online Arizona Trail Water Report for current information at https://aztrail.org/explore/water-sources/.
- All water along this passage should be purified prior to use.
- Mountain bikes are prohibited in the Superstition Wilderness.
- There are good campsites upstream and downstream from the Reavis Ranch site, but camp at least 300 feet from water and trails.
- Map of Passage 19
- USGS Topographic Maps: Pinyon Mountain and Theodore Roosevelt Dam.
- Superstition Wilderness Map – Tonto National Forest.
- Tonto National Forest map.
- BLM Information Center maps.
- “Hikers Guide to the Superstition Wilderness” by Jack Carlson and Elizabeth Stewart, Clearcreek Publishing, Tempe, Arizona.
For more information
- The Passage Steward
- Tonto National Forest, Mesa Ranger District, 5140 E. Ingram St, Mesa, AZ 85205 (480) 610-3341.
- Tonto National Forest, Tonto Basin Ranger District, 28079 N. AZ Hwy 188, Roosevelt, AZ 85545 (602) 225 5395.
- BLM Information Center (602) 417-9300.