- Moqui Stage Station to Grandview Lookout Tower
- 18.0 miles
Southern Access Point: Moqui Stage Station
- GPS Coordinates: 35.78743° N, 111.87562° W
From the intersection of US 180 and AZ 64 in the town of Valle, go north on AZ 64 for 11 miles to FR 320 (mile marker 224). Turn right (east) onto FR 320 and drive 16 miles to an intersection with FR 301. Turn right (south) on FR 301 and drive 3.5 miles to Moqui Stage Station. Park here, walk up a road that curves to the right (north-east), pass an old stone well in 50 yards, and follow singletrack east through the trees 0.1 mile to intersect the very distinct AZT. (To follow the AZT northbound, turn left toward Russell Tank).
Northern Trailhead: Grandview Lookout Tower
- GPS Coordinates: 35.95746° N, 111.95547° W
Follow Grand Canyon National Park’s Rim Drive (AZ 64) to its southernmost dip, about 11 miles east of Grand Canyon Village. From this junction, follow FR 310 (Coconino Rim Drive) 1.3 miles south to the trailhead.
Trail Route Description
This passage begins east of the Moqui Stage Station. There is a short connector trail between the station and trail #101 which is the route of the Arizona Trail. From here the trail heads north, crosses FR 313, and follows Russell Wash. It passes through a gate and then Anderson Tank is on the right. There is another gate and then the trail crosses FR 320. The trail curves to the northwest, then north, then west and then back to the north. There is a gate and then the Russell Tank Trailhead, Russell Tank and then two more gates in close succession. Still following Russell Wash the trail crosses FR 310 (Coconino Rim Road) and then another gate. It comes up on the edge of the rim and turns to the west, following the rim. There is a bike bypass to the left with the main route going right, down through a drainage. Continuing along the edge of the rim the trail crosses a peninsula of the rim and then leaves the rim and parallels FR 310. It crosses FR 307 and then joins an interpretive loop trail that leads to the Grandview Lookout Tower.
- All year. Snow may be present after winter storms
- Current weather forecast
Water may be found at Russell Tank. Although there is a restroom at Grandview Lookout Tower there is no water. Check the online Arizona Trail Water Report for current information at https://aztrail.org/explore/water-sources/.
- All water along this passage should be purified prior to use.
- Although this passage crosses State Trust Land, a permit is not required as long as you are within the 15-foot corridor of the Arizona Trail.
- Please respect all livestock operations in this area.
- Map of Passage 36
- USGS Topographic Maps: Harbison Tank, Peterson Flat and Grandview Point.
- Kaibab National Forest map.
- BLM Information Center maps.
For more information
- The Passage Steward
- Arizona State Land Department, 1616 W. Adams St., Phoenix, AZ 85007 (602) 542-2506.
- Kaibab National Forest, Tusayan Ranger District, P.O. Box 3088, Grand Canyon, AZ 86023 (928) 638-2443.
- BLM Information Center (602) 417-9300.