- Moqui Stage Station to Grandview Lookout Tower
- 18.0 miles
Southern Access Point: Moqui Stage Station
- GPS Coordinates: 35.78743° N, 111.87562° W
From the intersection of US 180 and AZ 64 in the town of Valle, go north on AZ 64 for 11 miles to FR 320 (mile marker 224). Turn right (east) onto FR 320 and drive 16 miles to an intersection with FR 301. Turn right (south) on FR 301 and drive 3.5 miles to Moqui Stage Station. Park here, walk up a road that curves to the right (north-east), pass an old stone well in 50 yards, and follow singletrack east through the trees 0.1 mile to intersect the very distinct AZT. (To follow the AZT northbound, turn left toward Russell Tank).
Northern Trailhead: Grandview Lookout Tower
- GPS Coordinates: 35.95746° N, 111.95547° W
Follow Grand Canyon National Park’s Rim Drive (AZ 64) to its southernmost dip, about 11 miles east of Grand Canyon Village. From this junction, follow FR 310 (Coconino Rim Drive) 1.3 miles south to the trailhead.
Trail Route Description
Passage 36 gradually ascends onto the Coconino Plateau and continues northwest along the Coconino Rim, and is within the recently designated Baaj Nwaavjo I’tah Kukveni Ancestral Footprints of the Grand Canyon National Monument. This passage offers a classic northern Arizona experience, with long, winding stretches through beautiful ponderosa pine forest, prime elk habitat, and tantalizing views of the Grand Canyon — all within a culturally significant landscape. Due to the abundance of cultural resources here, all visitors are encouraged to visit with respect. Check out the recommendations from our friends at Bear’s Ears Partnership here.
The trail stays mostly on singletrack, with occasional doubletrack, as it gradually makes its way from a high desert grassland to a dense pine forest. This relatively flat stretch has abundant campsites, most notably at the northern end near the Grandview Lookout Tower.
- All year. Snow may be present after winter storms
- Current weather forecast
Water may be found at Russell Tank. Although there is a restroom at Grandview Lookout Tower there is no water. Check the online Arizona Trail Water Report for current information at https://aztrail.org/explore/water-sources/.
- No special permits are needed within the Baaj Nwaavjo I’tah Kukveni Ancestral Footprints of the Grand Canyon National Monument, however visitors are asked to care for this cultural landscape by visiting with respect.
- All water along this passage should be purified prior to use.
- Although this passage crosses State Trust Land, a permit is not required as long as you are within the 15-foot corridor of the Arizona Trail.
- Please respect all livestock operations in this area.
- Map of Passage 36
- USGS Topographic Maps: Harbison Tank, Peterson Flat and Grandview Point
- Kaibab National Forest map
- BLM Information Center maps
For more information
- The Passage Steward
- Arizona State Land Department, 1616 W. Adams St., Phoenix, AZ 85007 (602) 542-2506
- Kaibab National Forest, Tusayan Ranger District, P.O. Box 3088, Grand Canyon, AZ 86023 (928) 638-2443
- BLM Information Center (602) 417-9300